Monday, September 6, 2010

September


Summer is over and we are back to school. Tyler started 7th grade and is loving being in Jr. High. This semester he is taking his P.E. class, and an art class,and a National Academics League class (NAL) along with the required classes; science, English, Pre-Algebra, Career Tech Class, and an advisory class. So far the homework hasn't been too overwhelming-(thats why there is a smile on his face)


Bryce's work had a company party at This Is The Place Heritage park. Bryce signed us up for (our 1st ever) the 5K walk/run. 5K is 3 1/2 miles and we needed to do this in under an hour. I thought-"I can walk 3 1/2 miles--this shouldn't be that hard...the hard part will be doing it in 1 hour...I'll have to hustle!"






Austin had the best time of all of us--30 something minutes. He ran mostly the whole way... Tyler came in at 47:05 minutes. They both made this look easy.

I'm here to tell you it was tough! I thought I was going to die!....(yea I'm really out of shape)Well little did I know-this walk/run was mostly uphill! Trying to hustle, mostly uphill and not having done this type of work out for a LONG TIME made me really thankful I crossed the finish line on my own two (worn out) legs, and not on a stretcher. I wouldn't have made it if Bryce hadn't been there to push and pull me up the hills. We didn't have time to stop and catch our breath...let alone take pictures along the way.




Bryce and I wanted a big finish. We forced ourselved and sprinted the last 100 or so yards to come in with the time of 48:26 for Bryce and 48:27 for Brenda. It wasn't as bad as we thought--before the morning was over we were breathing normal again,(my lungs & heart had forgiven me--or maybe they just forgotten) and we were only stiff for 4 days instead of the month we thought it would take to recover.







The rest of the day was spent doing the various activities that were provided for the boys. We let them make arrowheads,tour hogons, and make candles etc.



This is inside a hogon--it's a sacred place for the men in this Indian tribe. I dont know if it's because a "girl" was in there, or if it was because I took a picture and I wasn't supposed to... On the way out, I was ducking down for the low doorway, and with my visor on I didn't know how far down I needed to be, and I smacked my head REAL HARD on the door frame. I hit it so hard that I fell down to the ground. Now that HURT! Other than feeling like my head had split open, it took a while to feel good,and fortunately I was OK.

Other than now hurting completely from head to toe,(and Brenda feeling totally whipped) --we enjoyed our day.


Tyler also recently played in his Summer recital. He played a duet with another boy, and he played the Pirates of the Carribean song which he plays very well. He did a great job.

No comments:

Post a Comment