Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Family Reunion part 1

For our Johnson Family Reunion this year, we had a special family home evening. Ever since my siblings and I were little, we've had "Indian Names". My Grandparents lived near an Indian reservation, and they had authentic pictures of Indians on their walls in their motel. My Grandma would always talk about 'Annie Nagashaw', and jokingly threaten, if we didn't behave-she would send us out to live with her. In my mind she was a mean old Indian. Grandma had moccasins, a beaded purse, and other authentic Indian items. I had heard her tell us that we had an ancestor (several generations away) that was a Cherokee Princess. With my Indian name, "Little White Flower" and all the other authentic Indian items,stories etc. I fully believed I was part Indian... "I'm a quarter Indian" I proudly told everyone. Imagine my disappointment, when as a young woman at girls camp, (about 14) I received a letter from my parents explaining that my Indian Name was't real.

Even though my Indian name wasn't real anymore, I've carried on this tradition. I insisted that Bryce and Tyler also receive Indian Names from my Dad. They had their Indian names, although none of it was "official".

My brothers and I were talking, and realized that several of the "new family members" didn't have Indian names, or didn't even understand our tradition about the indians. My Dad decided to plan a special family home evening, and explain about how our Indian names came to be, as well as officially welcoming everyone to his "tribe". He wanted to give us our 'official' Indian Names. (My Grandparents would always call us 'wild little Indians'...and it stuck with us. I'd rather be known as the great great great granddaughter of an Indian Princess)


"Chief Babbling Brook"

We were all seated around the fire and when we saw the 'Chief' coming towards us, Brian and Madison started beating the drums. The Chief had Everyone's attention. He explained how he grew up with Indian friends, and how my Grandparents were associated with the Indians. It was awesome! Even though it started to rain, we moved away from the fire, and under the shelter to have the Chief continue. He went through every member of our family, and gave us our Indian Name, and welcomed us as part of his "Lot-a-talk Tribe". He then had all the 'Indian men and boys' come to receive a special charge. He told them that they were the Warriors and protectors of the family. He challenged them to be strong against the temptations and dangers that were out to destroy our family. He told them to defend and protect our family. He counseled them as priesthood leaders and future priesthood leaders to be righteous leaders of the family.


He then brought all the Indian women to receive their special charge. Our charge was to nurture and protect our families. It was AWESOME!



1 comment:

  1. Love this!!! That was such a fun night! You explain it much better than I do though...I may need to steal parts of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete